October 21st, 2005
note: items preceded by dashes are notes, items preceded by asterisks are todo items for yours truly
- perfection. word made real, god’s ‘visualization’ of creation before the servile act of creation.
- the estates: aristocracy, church, people, press, …
- artist as medium in middle ages. medium between god and, er…stuff.
- foucault’s ‘the order of things’ — good general history of phil.
- french phil: all translations bad — no sense of humor.
- look for double language editions of some french phil.
- GOT TO READ BORGES; borrow collection from Carl
- quote from borges in foucault’s order of things intro: “m. having just broken the water pitcher” – one classification of animals from a ‘chinese encyclopedia’
- Borges did a lot of fake quotes.
- the piano opened the door for the TV. TV required a clock — universal time.
- investigate Shostakovich/Vertov link